This salad is becoming a summertime staple at my house. Perfect for the hot days we are experiencing this weekend. So glad it's cherry season!
+ Brown Rice Salad with Cherries and Chicken +
• recipe from Whole Foods Market
• 3/4 cup basmati rice, rinsed
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pound cherries, pitted and quartered
• 1 pound prepared grilled or roasted chicken breasts, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
• 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted and chopped
• 1/2 cup finely sliced basil leaves
1. Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir in rice and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bring back to a boil, stir again, cover and simmer until the rice is just tender but not mushy, about 40 minutes (not all the water will be absorbed). Drain rice and rinse briefly under cold water. Drain again.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add cherries, chicken, cucumbers and onion; toss. Add rice and pecans and toss again. Serve at room temperature garnished with basil.
TAKE a LOOK:
6/18/2016 04:47:35 pm
I just picked a pound of bing cherries, and a couple pounds of Montmorency. This recipe sounds perfect now that they are in season, and especially since I'm tired of my old standards. Merci!
6/18/2016 04:52:49 pm
You know how envious I am of your cherries!
6/18/2016 06:43:36 pm
Madonna -- it's not too late!
6/18/2016 07:50:20 pm
Do you think I can use wild rice (since I am a fan now!) instead? I think I will try it!
6/19/2016 06:41:48 am
I don't see why not! Have a great Sunday, Stacey.
7/6/2016 09:06:12 am
I doubled this and gave half with chicken to an ill neighbor and made the other half with salmon since we don't eat meat. Delicious! Don't skip the basil! Thanks, Eileen!
7/7/2016 10:31:32 am
So glad you liked it!
Leave a Reply.