Farro Salad with Chicken
I've been on a farro kick lately. In addition to this farro salad with chicken, green beans and radishes, that I've made twice in the past week, I've also made a farro, orange and avocado salad two times. Just feels like the perfect thing to eat right now...
• recipe by Russ Parsons | featured in the L.A. Times
• 1 cup farro
• 3 cups water
• 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 3/4 pound rotisserie chicken, cut into bite-sized piece
• 3 cups lightly packed arugula, torn into bit-sized pieces
• 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
• 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
1. Toast the farro in a dry saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until it smells nutty, about 3 minutes. Add the water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and cook until the farro is tender but still chewy, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand covered 10 minutes to allow the grain to remove any excess moisture.
2. While the farro is cooking, add the green beans to a medium saucepan of rapidly boiling, liberally salted water and cook just until the color brightens, about 3 minutes. They should still be crisp. Drain and plunge immediately into ice water to stop the cooking. Pat dry, cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
3. When the farro is done and while it is still warm, Add the olive oil and vinegar and stir to mix well. Add the chicken and black pepper to taste.
4. When ready to serve, fold in the green beans, arugula, radishes and almonds. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
TAKE a LOOK:
3/6/2017 02:36:04 pm
I love farro better than quinoa.....just sayin'! :)
3/6/2017 07:24:53 pm
I feel the same...
Leave a Reply.