So what have I been doing lately? In addition to keeping busy in my kitchen, I'm also keeping busy with Midge.
Midge is a 15 week old French Bulldog. She is not, however, mine. My Pipi is still doing fine at almost 13 1/2 years of age. Midge belongs to my daughter and her husband. She spends her days with me when her owners are at work -- and when her owners are out of town, which would be this weekend. I've forgotten how busy a puppy can be! YIKES!
adapted recipe from RealSimple | November 2013
• 1 cup pearl barley
• 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
• 1 tablespoon celery seed
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 handful torn radicchio
• 4 ounces salami, diced
• 2/3 cup chopped Manchego cheese
• 3 scallions, sliced (white part only)
• 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1. Cook the barley according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
2. PREHEAT OVEN to 450˚F
3. Toss the cauliflower, celery seed, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a baking sheet with 1-inch sides. Roast, tossing the cauliflower one or twice, until golden brown; about 16 to 18 minutes.
4. Combine the barley, roasted cauliflower, radicchio, salami, Manchego, scallions, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve either warm, or at room temperature.
TAKE a LOOK: