Had it not been a hot, muggy day, I never would have made this salad. I would have roasted the little purple potatoes in the oven and seared the haricot verts green beans in olive oil on top of the stove; both favorite techniques of mine. Nice that it happened this way!
Dinner on the patio... rhubarb mojitos, grilled chicken, potato & green bean salad, fresh peach and blueberry crisp (baked in the cooler, early morning hours) with homemade ice milk. Isn't summer great? Forgot to pull the watermelon balls from the refrigerator -- another day, another dinner...
+ recipe adapted, from The New Basics Cookbook
• 1 3/4 pound small purple or yellow potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
• 3/4 pound Haricots Verts or green beans, trimmed and halved or quartered depending on size
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the potatoes in a medium-size pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes, halve or quarter if large.
2. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil; add the green beans. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender; approximately 3 minutes for Haricots Verts and possibly longer for larger beans. Drain and run under cold water. Drain again.
3. For the dressing... in a medium bowl whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, zest, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
4. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and green beans. Gently fold in half of the dressing, then any of the remaining dressing until coated to your liking. You may not use all of it. Serve salad at room temperature or refrigerate until needed.
TAKE a LOOK: