The wedding has come and gone. Thanksgiving has passed. Life seems a little less hectic... well, at least for today. The days are getting shorter; darkness falls much earlier and it's cold outdoors -- time to cozy-up with some comfort food!
I've made this Mac & Cheese for many years. A favorite of children and adults. And it was just what we needed today. Although it wasn't part of the mix this time, feel free to add sliced, smoked sausage if you so desire (it makes it even better! ).
• 8 ounces elbow macaroni
• 2 cups whole milk, small curd cottage cheese
• 8 ounces sour cream
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• large pinch of freshly ground pepper
• 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350˚F
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, beaten egg, salt, and pepper; stir in the cheddar cheese. Set aside.
2. Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain. Stir the macaroni into the cheese mixture.
3. The mac & cheese can be divided between 5 greased, individual ramekins or gratins, sprinkled with paprika, and baked for 35 minutes. If using one large baking dish, increase cooking time to 45 minutes.
TAKE a LOOK:
11/26/2012 09:15:40 am
I am curious about the cottage cheese and sour cream addition in this mac and cheese.....sounds delicious! It is my favorite comfort food besides lasagne. Not sure if I could eat just one small ramekin!
11/26/2012 09:18:24 am
I highly recommend, if you have no dietary restrictions, to use full-fat cottage cheese and sour cream. It makes it even better.
Leave a Reply.