I've noticed a worrisome trend lately. I eat a lot of my desserts while I'm making them. It was quite obvious the other day when I made the Peanut Butter & Chocolate Tart. I licked every bowl clean. Today, after I pulled these cookies from the oven, I tried one.... and then I tried another. I can't tell you how many I finally finished off, but this is one good cookie. If you like lemon you will love these. The lemon is intense and I always like cookies or crusts that incorporate cornmeal for its crisp grittiness. The black pepper is an interesting addition. It's not obvious, but it certainly adds another dimension.
The dough for this cookie is shaped into a log and sliced. They spread quite a bit while baking so make sure to leave enough space on the baking sheet between the cookies.
• * • * • * • * • * • * • * •
Lemon-Black Pepper Cornmeal Cookies
a recipe from Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
• 3/4 teaspoon fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup finely grated organic lemon zest (I used 6 small organic lemons)
• 2 large egg yolks
1. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, black pepper and salt together in a medium bowl.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and zest in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, starting on low speed and increasing to medium-high until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat to combine. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and continue to beat on low speed until just blended; the dough will be somewhat crumbly.
3. Press the dough together with your hands and divide it in half. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap and form each piece into a log approximately 10-inches by 1 1/4-inches. Chill, wrapped in the plastic, until firm; about 3 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut each log into 1/4-inch-thick round and arrange the rounds 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. On the middle rack of the oven, bake, 1 sheet at a time, for approximately 10 minutes. Watch closely. Bake until the edges of the cookies are golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool.