Garlicky Smashed Potatoes
I can't say that I make these garlic smashed potatoes often. When I am making mashed potatoes for our dinner, I usually peel russet potatoes that I boil and finish off in my KitchenAid mixer using the paddle attachment, adding butter or olive oil, and warmed milk or buttermilk. The ingredients mostly depend on my mood. Under more special circumstances, like our recent Thanksgiving dinner, I will make these garlic-infused smashed potatoes… Always!
These Garlic Smashed Potatoes are truly an indulgence. From the unsalted butter, to the garlic, and the fresh, heavy cream, all of the ingredients combine to deliver the ultimate comfort food side-dish. These mashed potatoes can elevate the humblest of meals into food worthy of a dinner party. These mashed potatoes would make my ramekins of Baked Eggs with Mashed Potatoes and Ham taste even more fabulous!
… Garlic Mashed Potatoes …
from The Olives Table by Todd English
• 2 pounds new potatoes, unpeeled, cut into large dice
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 4 to 5 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Mash with a potato masher or fork.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is just golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream and cook until it has reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic cream, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and mix well. If necessary, reheat over low heat. Serve immediately.
3. Use any leftovers for my Baked Eggs with Mashed Potatoes and Ham.
TAKE a LOOK:
1/24/2011 10:48:14 am
My mouth is absolutely watering. Just need a big steak for alongside! You just can't beat the classics.
1/25/2011 01:06:08 am
In the words of Fred Astaire, " Heaven... I'm in heaven, And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak. And I seem to find the happiness I seek...(in garlic mashed potatoes)
Eileen, what a visual feast you created since I visited you last (school demands most of my time these days).
1/25/2011 11:40:58 pm
Wow... I could eat SO many bowls of garlicky smashed taters ;)
Leave a Reply.