I've been making this Barbecued Beef Brisket, from The New Basics Cookbook, for many years. It assembles quickly and is in the oven, unattended, for 3 1/2 hours (making it meltingly tender), and giving me plenty of time to do other things.
Shredded Barbecued Beef Brisket
adapted from The New Basics Cookbook
• 1 brisket of beef (about 5 pounds)
• 1 teaspoon natural liquid smoke flavoring
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 8 to 10 whole wheat, poppy seed or onion sandwich rolls
• 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
2. Place the brisket in a roasting pan, and brush with the liquid smoke.
3. Combine the salt and spices in a small bowl and mix well. Rub this into the brisket.
4. Cover the roasting pan, and bake until the brisket is fork-tender, about 3 1/2 hours.
5. Remove the pan from the oven, and use two forks to pull the meat apart in the pan juices, shredding it coarsely.
6. For each sandwich, halve a sandwich roll. Spoon about 2 tablespoons heated barbecue sauce over the bottom. Using a slotted spoon, pile about 1 cup of the shredded meat on the roll. Then pour 2 or 3 tablespoons sauce over the meat, and cover with the top half of the roll... OR, do what I do; transfer the shredded brisket to a large pot and place over low heat. Stir the entire 2 cups of barbecue sauce into the brisket, stir to combine, and heat until warmed through. Then pile onto the sandwich rolls.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
9/17/2010 02:02:18 am
This looks absolutely delicious! If it wasn't already dinner time, I would make this tonight! :)
9/17/2010 04:31:40 am
I do something similar and my family devours it. love the pickle addition!
12/12/2010 12:46:49 pm
Very, very tasty and tender. My wife, kids and I loved this and prefer it to the brisket I spend 5+ hours smoking. I've been looking for a recipe for decent oven-cooked brisket for over a year. This one is a keeper - thanks, Eileen!
7/21/2011 06:46:13 am
This is a great alternative to watching over a full on BBQ Smoker brisket cook. Nice for when you want brisket but are too busy to tend the smoker!
Leave a Reply.