French Apple Tart
One more photo shoot of my kitchen this past week (It will be featured in Kitchen & Bath Makeover, Fall 2012.) The stylist wanted an apple dessert -- this French Caramelized Apple Tart is what I made.
:: Caramelized Apple Tart
• 2 tablespoons ground almonds
• 1 cup flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
• 3 tablespoons ice water
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
• 4 tablespoons apricot jam, heated with a splash of amaretto and
• Confectioners' sugar, sifted
1. MAKE PASTRY: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine the almonds, flour and salt. Process briefly. Add the butter and process until the mixture is the consistency of small peas. Add the water and process just until dough starts to come together. Do not over process. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 2 hours.
2. Roll out chilled dough and line a 9-inch tart pan. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
3. FILLING: Place the sugar in a medium saucepan and place over medium-low heat until sugar is melted and straw-colored, about 10 minutes. Add the butter and diced apples. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring mixture occasionally until apples are softened and any hard caramel has dissolved. Add the vanilla and cinnamon once off the heat and mix well. Cool completely.
4. Spread caramelized apples over the chilled dough. Make concentric circles with the sliced apples over the top. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and brush the top with melted apricot jam. Serve with creme frâiche, vanilla bean ice cream, or whipped heavy cream with a touch of cinnamon.
TAKE a LOOK:
10/12/2011 11:57:00 pm
How beautiful, both the tart and the kitchen photos!
10/14/2011 07:20:36 am
Thanks Eileen! It was yummy!
Leave a Reply.