I received a gift of Michigan cherries this past weekend and they became our breakfast this morning!
+ inspired by a recipe from Whole Foods
• 2 cups fresh, sweet cherries, pitted and halved
• 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh mint leaves
• 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, preferably organic
• 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
• 3 ounces Mascarpone
• 4 slices hearty, whole-grain bread
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Honey, for drizzling, optional
1. Place the halved cherries in a small bowl. Add the mint and orange juice and gently toss to combine.
2. In another small bowl, stir together the Mascarpone and orange zest.
3. Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil. Heat a grill pan over medium heat and brown bread lightly on both sides (or use a toaster and brush bread lightly with olive oil after it is toasted). Transfer the bread to a serving plate.
4. Divide the orange Mascarpone between the 4 slices of toast and spread evenly. Top the Mascarpone with the cherries and drizzle with honey. Serve.
TAKE a LOOK: