• • • • • • • • •
Getting up in the morning would be a lot easier if I knew these Lemon Ricotta Griddlecakes were waiting for me downstairs! Truly one of the best breakfasts I've had in recent memory. And don't skip on the blackberries -- such a great complement to the lemon!
• an adapted recipe by Susan Weaver •
SERVES 2 -- Recipe can easily be doubled
• 3 large eggs, separated
• 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1/4 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus additional for garnish
• additional butter for greasing the skillet
• Confectioners' sugar for dusting
• 1/2 pint fresh blackberries
• Real maple syrup for serving
1. In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, ricotta, and melted butter. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, and stir until combined.
2. In a small mixing bowl beat the egg whites until firm (but NOT dry) peaks form. Gently fold the beaten whites into the the batter.
3. Lightly butter a large cast iron or non-stick skillet. Place over medium heat. When hot, spoon batter onto the skillet. (I will get 3 griddlecakes to my 9-inch skillet.) When the underside is brown and firm, flip the cakes and brown on the other side. This is a delicate batter and it can be a little tricky flipping griddlecakes that have not cooked long enough.
4. Plate the griddlecakes and surround with blackberries; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and garnish with lemon zest. Drizzle with real maple syrup and ENJOY.
TAKE a LOOK:
12/4/2012 07:26:02 am
I've been on a crazy pancake binge all fall, and as it happens I've been dreaming of a citrus themed version. The blackberries are a nice touch!
These are amazing! I've made them three times now, and they're spot on every time. They remind me of some I had at Sarabeth's in NYC. You're right that the batter is a little tricky, but I just leave them on the griddle a little longer, and then I'm able to flip them. This is getting pinned to my tried and true board.
5/27/2015 03:17:06 am
Tiffiny -- I'm so glad you like them!
Leave a Reply.