September and figs. I wish the season weren't so brief. I bought my first carton of fresh figs yesterday. My two "Little Miss Figgy" plants on my patio are still too young to produce fruit. I decided that baking a breakfast cake with my purchased figs, to eat along with my cappuccino in the morning, was the way to go.
And figs are really good for you! (read this)... Another reason to go out and buy some figs.!
And, right before I photographed the Fig & Almond Breakfast Cake, a neighbor stopped by with fresh raspberries that he picked from the bushes in his yard. Perfect timing!
• recipe from Beyond the Plate
• 2 1/2 ounces blanched almond meal
• 2 1/2 ounces unbleached, all-purpose flour
• Pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
• 3 ounces sugar
• 1 tablespoon rum
• 2 large eggs
• several (I used about 5-6) ripe figs, quartered
• Confectioners' sugar and fresh figs for finishing, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Line the base of an 8 1/2 to 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper, then tighten the springform ring to keep the parchment in place; trim excess paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal, flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed, until pale and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and add the rum, dry ingredients and eggs. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 3-4 minutes. The batter should be smooth and all the ingredients are incorporated.
5. Turn the cake batter into the prepared springform pan using a spatula to spread the thick mixture evenly. Arrange the fig quarters over the top of the batter. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
6. Run a knife around the perimeter of the cake before releasing the ring; allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and decorate with additional fresh figs if desired.
TAKE a LOOK:
9/13/2016 07:46:44 pm
I am just seeing this now...(I saw it on instagram). Looks beautiful and delicious.
Leave a Reply.