It's February, and I am again rifling through my grapefruit recipes. I always crave this bitter, tangy fruit during the winter months. These grapefruit halves are sweetened with the addition of brown sugar and a cloud of baked meringue.
Breakfast at my house! I only wish I owned a grapefruit spoon...
adapted from Gourmet | February 2002
• 1 large pink grapefruit
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
• 1 pinch cream of tartar
• 1 pinch salt
• 3 generous tablespoons granulated sugar
PREHEAT OVEN to 425˚F
1. Slice grapefruit in half and sprinkle flesh with brown sugar.
2. In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar, beating at high speed until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
3. Dollop or pipe meringue onto the grapefruit halves and place on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 7 minutes, or until meringue is golden.
4. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
TAKE a LOOK: