Breakfast this morning was -- no big surprise -- EGGS. I believe, if there's a fried or poached egg on top of something, that something is only made better! These eggs are baked upon creamy kale from my garden and cubes of sweetened cornbread that crisp up a bit when in the oven. I was told that the only thing that could make this meal any better is a glass of crisp, white wine... I think that would now make this lunch!
• Olive oil, for skillet
• 1/4 cup finely diced onion
• 4 cups chopped kale, center stem removed
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 2 cups cubed (1/2-inch) cornbread (recipe HERE)
• 4 organic eggs
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREHEAT OVEN to 375˚F
1. Warm a hefty drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and beginning to turn golden. Add kale to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Remove skillet from heat and stir the heavy cream into the kale mixture. Add about 5 to 6 drops (more or less depending on the amount of heat you want) of Tabasco. Fold in the cubed cornbread.
3. Transfer mixture to two greased 6-inch baking dishes or one larger baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, press wells into the kale mixture and fill with the cracked eggs.
4. Place baking dishes on a sheet pan and transfer to middle rack of oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the eggs are just set and yolks still runny. Sprinkle eggs with a little salt and a grinding of pepper. Serve immediately.
TAKE a LOOK:
7/21/2014 12:43:30 am
This looks tasty!
7/21/2014 11:15:32 am
kale is always welcome in my breakfast skillet, since I have a big stash of it growing in my pots on my driveway (not at the MCG!).
8/25/2014 11:41:23 pm
this was delicious, just had it for breakfast. added some bacon and used our family cornbread recipe but otherwise it was the best breakfast I've had in awhile. thanks a bunch
8/26/2014 01:16:33 am
Stephanie -- Thanks so much. So nice to hear!
Leave a Reply.