There haven't been many desserts in my house this summer. I'm not sure why that's the case. I love berry season, but the berries I've purchased have mostly been used in salads. Lately after every meal my husband asks, "is there dessert?" and sadly, I've been telling him no.
Ironically, today I made this Blueberry (and Raspberry) Cake with Lemon Icing and my husband isn't around to partake.
He's in Iowa again for RAGBRAI -- the bike ride across Iowa; his summer ritual. I'll have to save him a piece (or two)!
Blueberry (and Raspberry) Cake with Lemon Icing
• 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 1/2 cups blueberries (or part blueberries, part raspberries)
• 1 tablespoon flour
• Lemon icing (recipe follows)
PREHEAT OVEN to 350˚F
1. Butter the bottom and sides of a bread pan and line bottom of pan with waxed paper. *
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Beat half of the flour mixture into the butter and eggs. Add all of the milk and mix to combine. Add the remaining flour, mixing just until combined.
5. In a small bowl, gently fold the berries with the tablespoon flour. Add the berries to the flour/egg mixture and fold into the batter with a rubber spatula. Transfer the batter to the bread pan.
6. Place bread pan on the center rack of the oven and bake for 60 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When the cake is cool, remove from pan and drizzle with Lemon Icing.
* This cake can also be baked in a 9-inch square pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
• Grated zest of 1 large lemon
• 2 tablespoons milk
1. Combine the ingredients and stir until smooth.
TAKE a LOOK:
7/25/2013 12:38:41 am
Eileen, the first wave of raspberries have been picked and now I move on to blueberries, and this cake recipe. I hear RAGBRAI is really something to experience. My friend Joan used to go just for the friendly food vendors along the way. I can still hear her saying, "oh my god, you should have seen the pork chops."
7/25/2013 01:29:56 am
The food along the way is incredible, but no matter how much I'd like to sample all the offerings, I cannot imagine biking 60 - 80 miles a day on Iowa country roads. Last year when my husband did the entire week, they had temps in the low 100's with 30 mph headwinds. This is why I'm at home in Minnesota baking cake instead!
7/31/2013 02:44:15 pm
Leave a Reply.