Gourmet | December 2001
• 1 1/3 cup dried cranberries
• 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup salted shelled natural pistachios
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water to make egg wash
1. Soak cranberries in boiling-hot water to cover in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 325˚F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at moderate speed until combined well. Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until a dough forms. Add cranberries and pistachios and mix at low speed.
4. Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead several times. Halve dough, then form each half into a 13-by 2-inch slightly flattened log on baking sheet, using floured hands and spacing logs about 3 inches apart. Brush logs with egg wash.
5. Bake in middle of oven until golden 25 to 30 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet on a rack 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, a cut side down, in 1 layer on baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven, turning once, until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes total.
* If desired, cooled biscotti can be dipped in white chocolate that has been melted in a double boiler.
TAKE a LOOK: