• This recipe appeared previously in August 2009. Every now and then I am horrified (more than I care to admit) when I look back at older Passions to Pastry posts and see the photograph that accompanies a recipe. I would like to think that my photography skills have improved since then and am ever so slowly updating those photos.
"... I got this recipe for Tomato, Orange, and Avocado Salad from my friend and neighbor, Debbie. I treasure my neighbor! I would literally drop everything if she called and asked me to dinner. Truly, the best meals I have ever had were shared efforts enjoyed on my neighbor's patio."
I classify this Tomato, Orange, and Avocado Salad as a "summer salad"; that's because I think you should only use sweet, flavorful, fresh from the garden, summer tomatoes -- heirloom, preferably. There's nothing better.
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 avocados, large dice
• 2 tomatoes, preferably heirloom, cut into large dice
• 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into thick rounds
• 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
• 10 to 15 black olives, pitted
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Whisk together the lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently toss the diced avocados and tomatoes with half of the lemon juice-olive oil vinaigrette.
2. Arrange the orange slices on a platter. Scatter the red onion slices over the oranges and drizzle with the remaining half of the vinaigrette.
3. Spoon the avocados and tomatoes on top of the oranges. Top with black olives and almonds.
TAKE a LOOK: