adapted from a recipe by King Arthur Flour
• 2 cups unbleached flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1 cup dried blueberries
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I like Cultural Revolution Organic Vanilla Yogurt)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon grated organic lemon zest
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 2 tablespoons coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest and almond extract. Set aside.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until coarse and crumbly. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the moist ingredients and add the dried blueberries. Stir very gently, just until combined. The dough will be moist. With floured hands, knead the dough in the bowl 4 or 5 times.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and with a large knife, divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a flattened, round disc and with a floured knife cut each disc into 8 wedges. Carefully transfer each wedge onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each scone with coarse sugar, pressing lightly on the sugar if necessary to adhere to the scones.
5. Bake the scones for 20 to 24 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven, and cool briefly on a cooling rack. Serve warm.