Ahh yes... the humble cheese ball. But I want you to overlook its homely appearance; it's a huge favorite of mine. It also has French origins and that's probably what first appealed to me some 30 years ago when I found this recipe. An interesting concoction of ingredients -- I guarantee that anyone who tries this "cheese ball" will feel the same way about it as I do.
I served Peanut Butter Pâté, along with a smoked salmon spread, to guests while I stirred up risotto the other nite. It's a great appetizer to have at the ready during the holiday season.
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
• 2 Tbsp. butter
• 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
• 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
• 2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
• 2 slices bacon
• 3 green onions, finely chopped
1. Cook and stir mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes; stir in lemon juice. Remove from heat. Beat cream cheese and peanut butter until fluffy. Stir in mushrooms and cover. Refrigerate at least one hour.
2. Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Shape cream cheese mixture into a ball. Roll ball in bacon and onion; cover. Refrigerate until serving time.
3. Serve with assorted crackers.
• Keeps for several days stored in the refrigerator.
TAKE a LOOK: