What could be better with a bowl of chicken noodle soup?
from the book Breakfast with Friends
• 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 tablespoons finely sliced fresh chives
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• 1 1/4 cups milk
1. PREHEAT OVEN to 450˚F
2. In a large bowl stir to combine, flour, Parmesan, chives, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the butter and, using your fingers, rub together butter and flour mixture until fine particles form. Pour in milk; stir with a fork until incorporated and dough forms. Turn the dough out on a lightly-floured surface and knead 10 to 15 times. Sprinkle with a little flour if sticky, but try to keep addition of flour minimal.
3. Using a lightly-floured rolling pin, roll the dough about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out rounds with a 2- to 2 1/2-inch cutter dipped in flour. Place biscuits on parchment- lined baking sheet. Reroll scraps and continue to cut out more biscuits.
4. Place baking sheet on middle rack of preheated oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack. Cool biscuits for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Makes approximately 20 biscuits.
* Biscuits are best eaten shortly after baking.
TAKE a LOOK: