Hello, my name is Eileen and Passions to Pastry is my blog on Living
Tastefully... I feel as though I need to reintroduce myself. I've been away for some time and you may not remember who I am. I had planned on taking a little time off; never this much, however.
So now, with the holiday season upon us, I am focusing on baking! These Eggnog and Ruby Red Grapefruit Muffins were breakfast this morning. The batter is rather thin and will stick somewhat to the paper muffin liners. If you have silicone muffin cups, I recommend using those. I also suggest serving the muffins with glasses of cold eggnog... YUM
an adapted WHOLE FOODS recipe
• 2 Ruby Red grapefruit
• 1 1/2 cup eggnog
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute 1 1/3 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour plus 2/3 cup cake flour)
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners; set aside.
2. Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from both grapefruit. Cut the segments out of each, discarding membranes and seeds and draining well; reserve juice. Set aside 12 segments for garnish, then chop remaining. (You should have about 1/2 cup of juicy, chopped fruit.)
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggnog, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved juice. Add flour, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt, and whisk again, just until combined. Fold in chopped grapefruit, then spoon batter into prepared tin; top each muffin with a grapefruit segment.
4. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
TAKE a LOOK: