Yahoo, we're 2 ! And they said it would never last...
Chocolate Amaretti •birthday• Cake
a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis
• Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
• 3/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
• 1 cup slivered almonds
• 1 cup baby amaretti cookies (about 2 ounces)
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
• 2 teaspoons orange zest, about 1 orange
• 4 large eggs
• Unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with the nonstick spray. Refrigerate. Microwave the chocolate until melted and smooth, stirring every 20 seconds, for about 1 minute.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the almonds and cookies until finely ground. Transfer the nut mixture to a medium bowl. Add the butter and sugar to the processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Add the grated orange zest and pulse briefly, until incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend until incorporated. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and blend again. Add the nut mixture and melted chocolate. Pulse until blended. Clean the sides of the bowl. Blend again.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center puffs and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Transfer the cake to a platter. Sift the cocoa powder over the top and serve.
NOTE: This cake is good on its own, but you might consider serving it with Crème Anglaise, Whipped Cream, Ice Cream, or an Orange Sorbet.