Apple-Buttermilk Muffins with Walnuts
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 large egg
• 2 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
• 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease 12 muffin pan cups, or line with paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix first 5 ingredients. In a small bowl, beat buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract, and egg until blended; stir into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Fold in apples.
3. In a small dish, mix sugar and cinnamon. Spoon batter into muffin cups; sprinkle batter evenly with chopped walnuts, followed by the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Immediately remove from the pan. Serve warm or cool muffins on a wire rack.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: