A couple of weekends ago we went "Up North" for what will probably be the last time this summer. When we were informed that our kitchen floor would be getting three more coats of polyurethane that weekend, leaving town seemed like the logical thing to do.
Normally, I make lists and pack all of the food we'll be needing, but this time, all I did was grab the ripening fruits and berries I had at home. I bought small bags of flour and sugar along the way, and when I decided on making free-form tarts with my provisions, I used a nicely-chilled bottle of white wine for my rolling pin. Adding cornstarch or arrowroot to the fruit will help collect and stabilize the juices. I didn't have either ingredient, but the tarts were still awesomely-delicious!
Blueberry, Raspberry and Peach Galettes
For the Tart Crust:
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• approximately 4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
• 3 large peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 pints fresh blueberries
• 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
• Pinch of salt
• 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot
• Heavy cream, for brushing
• additional sugar, for sprinkling
• additional butter
To Make the Crust:
Note: this recipe will make enough tart dough for 6 individual galettes or 1 8-inch galette.
1. Combine the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse. Add the cold butter and pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Slowly add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing, just until the dough starts to come together. You may not use all of the water if it is a humid day.
2. Gather the dough together and flatten onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. When you are ready to use the dough, either divide into 6 pieces and roll each piece separately for individual galettes, or roll the entire dough into one large circle. Place the rolled tart dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill.
To Make the Filling:
Note: this recipe will make enough fruit filling for 6 individual galettes and 1 8-inch galette.
1. Combine the sliced peaches and blueberries. Add the sugar, pinch of salt and cornstarch or arrowroot (if using). Add the raspberries and very gently, fold those into the rest of the fruit. Spoon the fruit mixture into the center of the tart dough leaving approximately a 2-inch border. Bring the dough up and pleat the dough (see photos above). Brush the pleated edge with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Scatter small shards of butter over the fruit. Place galettes on their baking sheets in the refrigerator while preheating the oven.
2. Preheat oven to 425˚ F. Bake tarts in the center of the oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until crust begins to turn a golden brown.
3. Remove from oven. Cool slightly and serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: