Forever a lover of custard, last night I made mine with chocolate and cinnamon.
+•+ SPICED CHOCOLATE CUSTARD +•+
• 4 large eggs
• 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
• 3 cups whole milk
• 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
• whole nutmeg, for grating
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• confectioners' sugar
MAKES 6 to 8 CUSTARDS
1. PREHEAT OVEN to 375˚F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk the eggs slightly. Combine the sugar and the cinnamon; whisk into the eggs along with the salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside.
3. Combine the milk and the unsweetened chocolate; scald milk, either on top of the stove or in a microwave oven. Whisk the melted chocolate into the milk until smooth. Pour a little of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking vigorously to temper the eggs. Add the remaining milk and whisk until incorporated.
4. Strain the mixture into custard cups. (I was able to fill 7 cups.) Dust the tops of the custards with freshly grated nutmeg. Place the cups in a pan filled with hot water reaching halfway up the sides.
5. Transfer pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the custards comes out clean. Remove custards from the water bath and allow to cool.
6. Whip the heavy cream along with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and confectioners' sugar, to taste. The custard is not very sweet and benefits from a sweetened whipped cream.
TAKE a LOOK: