When I'm craving a rich, hearty stew, I usually pull my recipe for boeuf bourguignon; always delicious, but it can be time-consuming putting it all together. On another cold winter day, and not having much time to spend in my kitchen, I made this beef stew. Combine the ingredients in a large Dutch oven, place it in the oven, and forget about it for almost 6 hours (giving it an occasional stir); how easy is that?
… All Day Beef Stew …
• 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1/2 cup flour
• 3 teaspoons salt
• 1 1/4 cup organic vegetable broth
• 1 cup dry red wine
• 1 pound carrots, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces (or 1 pound bag baby carrots)
• 1 1/4 pound red or yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks
• 2 onions, large dice
• 1 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed and halved
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 bay leaf
1. Place raw, cubed meat in a Dutch oven with flour and salt. Cover and toss to coat. Stir in the broth and wine.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and bake about 5 1/2 to 6 hours in a preheated 250˚F oven. Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.
TAKE a LOOK: