I thought it strange that I had a craving for iceberg lettuce. I rarely purchase it. It may have been because I had all the makings for Roquefort Buttermilk Dressing in my refrigerator -- and once I get a vision inside my little head, there's no getting rid of it (just ask my family about that). The only thing I did not have was a grilled steak. That would have been a great follow-up to the chilled wedge of iceberg lettuce drizzled with creamy blue cheese and buttermilk dressing, and sprinkled with pieces of hot, smokey bacon.
ROQUEFORT and BUTTERMILK DRESSING
Gourmet | May 1996
• 1/3 cup well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese
• additional blue cheese for sprinkling
In a blender, blend dressing ingredients until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over wedges of iceberg lettuce and sprinkle with additional blue cheese and pieces of hot bacon. This recipe makes enough dressing for 4 servings.
Oh... grill a steak, too.