Chocolate Biscotti with Almonds and Dried Cherries
adapted from a recipe in Gourmet Magazine | December 1994
• 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds
• 1/2 cup dried cherries
• 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F and butter and flour a large baking sheet, OR line with parchment paper (secure paper with tape while forming the dough; remove tape before baking).
2. In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in the almonds, dried cherries and chocolate chips.
3. On the prepared baking sheet, with floured hands, form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each approximately 12-inches long and 2-inches wide. Bake logs for 30 to 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool the biscotti on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
4. On a cutting board, cut the biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on the baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack.