Jerk-Light Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
from Melissa's Everyday Cooking With Organic Produce by Cathy Thomas
recipe printed in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, May 9, 2010
• 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 green onions, chopped, including dark green stalks
• 2 serrano chiles, unseeded, chopped (I used seeded jalapenos)
• 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 1/2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts and thighs ( I used a 3 1/2 pound package of bone-in chicken breasts and there was enough marinade to cover all)
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, finely diced cucumber
• 1 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
• 1 tablespoon fresh mint ( I did not have fresh, so used 1/3 of a tablespoon dried)
To Prepare Chicken: Place all marinade ingredients in blender; whirl until smooth. Place chicken in large zipper-style plastic bag with the marinade. Press out air and seal. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag several times to redistribute marinade.
To Prepare Salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients in nonreactive container. Gently toss to combine and refrigerate, well sealed, up to 1 hour.
To Prepare Chicken: Take chicken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Arrange chicken in a shallow baking pan; discard marinade. Roast approximately 45 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve topped with salsa.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: