I always have fresh bananas on hand. I like them sliced over Greek yogurt and granola with dried fruit. My daughter throws a banana into the blender every time she makes a smoothie. And my French Bulldog, Pipi... well, she'll take them any way she can get them. And during the warm summer months, bananas in my kitchen ripen faster than any other time of year... time to make MUFFINS!
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 cup oat bran
• 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
•1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• 2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon butter, softened
PREHEAT OVEN to 375˚F
1. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, oil, bananas, sugar, and oat bran; whisk to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, rolled oats, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon. Work the softened butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
5. Whisk the yogurt-banana mixture into the dry ingredients and divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with the streusel mixture.
6. Bake muffins on middle rack of preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Cool muffins briefly then unmold onto a rack to cool completely.