• + • + • + • + •
My ANTIQUE-of-the-WEEK sister Susan flew into town to host a bridal shower for my daughter. I made the food...
My daughter was greeted with congratulatory kisses by the guests.
Appetizers were served on the deck.
The table for dining was set up on the patio and crowned with a canopy to protect the guests from the slight possibility of rain.
• White Bean Spread with Pita Crackers
• French La Petit Crème with Sour Cherry Spread and Walnuts
• Iced Tea and Lemonade
• Cuvée Catherine Rosé d Anjou
• Radish Sandwiches
• Seared Haricot Vert
• Chicken Salad with Wild Rice and Watercress
• Lemon-Lime Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
A beautiful day spent with wonderful friends!
The main course was a salad of chicken, wild rice, and watercress with a tarragon vinaigrette. I have been making it for years with no recollection of where I found the recipe.
:: Chicken with Wild Rice and Watercress
• 1 cup wild rice
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 3 cups diced, poached chicken
• 1 cup watercress leaves
• 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions
• 1/2 cup diced celery
• 1/2 cup toasted, blanched almonds
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Rinse the rice under cold water. Place in a saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, about 25 to 35 minutes. Rinse the rice under cold water and drain well. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the chicken, watercress, green onion, and diced celery, mixing gently. When ready to serve, top with the toasted almonds.
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
Slowly whisk the oil into the vinegar. Stir in the tarragon, salt, and pepper. Pour a small amount of the vinaigrette over the chicken salad and mix gently. Add additional vinaigrette until the salad is evenly coated. You will probably not need all of the vinaigrette.
SERVE THE SALAD SLIGHTLY CHILLED