Can you believe it? I've never made Rice Krispie Bars before. But it's Valentines and I always make something for my girls. One of them constantly asks for my homemade marshmallows. The other one is gluten-intolerant. These brown rice, Rice Krispie Bars have all that covered. My husband grabbed one this morning and his eyes lit up with his first bite. He describe the taste as a "burst of flavor surprises" -- quite an unexpected description of a Rice Krispie Bar, don't you think? Surely due to the addition of the freeze-dried strawberries (from Trader Joe's) and little shards of dark chocolate (purchased as decorative sprinkles in Paris, but coarsely grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate should do the trick).
• 6 cups gluten-free, brown rice Rice Krispie cereal
• 1 1/2 ounces freeze-dried strawberries (available at Trader Joe's)
• 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely-grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
• 10 ounces marshmallows, purchased or homemade (recipe HERE)
1. Grease a 9-by-9-inch square metal baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside. Measure the rice cereal into a large mixing bowl. Add the freeze-dried strawberries, breaking them up into smaller pieces with your fingers. Stir in the grated chocolate.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the 3 tablespoons coconut oil over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and scrape all of the marshmallow cream into the dry ingredients. Gently fold the melted marshmallows through the rice cereal until fully incorporated. Spread the mixture into the baking pan. Grease the rubber spatula and press the rice mixture into an even layer.
3. Once set, cut Rice Krispie Bars into squares. MAKES 16 BARS
TAKE a LOOK: